SAN ANTONIO — A family from Travis County in Austin was flown to San Antonio’s University Health after being poisoned by carbon monoxide recently.
A release from UH said the family is believed to have become poisoned from a generator. The reason they were flown to UH is because the hospital is only one of two in Texas that provide hyperbaric treatment for emergency care and children, the hospital said. Two children were said to have gotten sick as well.
A hyperbaric chamber uses high levels of oxygen to treat carbon monoxide poisoning among other conditions. The hospital said they have received 11 people from Travis County.
The hospital reminds people of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, especially during the cold weather season. The best way to detect unhealthy levels of the odorless gas is by using a carbon monoxide detector inside the home.