San Antonio archbishop speaks out against migrant buses, flights

The faith leader took to Twitter to share his reactions to recent GOP moves to send people from Latin American countries to sanctuary cities throughout the U.S. García-Siller oversees the Archdiocese of San Antonio, which serves nearly 800,000 of the city’s 1.5 million residents. 

“Texas is not overwhelmed by refugees. We are a big State. Aren’t we! Comprehensive immigration reform is urgent,” his Sunday tweet says. “Our leaders are doing sick actions without doing little about the issue. The problem is not the refugees, it is leaders that cannot accept: we are one with humanity.”

He followed up with the tweet below. 

García-Siller’s comment comes on the heels of moves made by GOP leaders to relocate migrants. 

On Wednesday, September 14, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis took credit for sending planes of migrants to Martha’s Vineyard as part of the Republican anti-immigration protest. The following day, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said online that he had sent two buses to Washington, D.C. His previous plans, as part of “Operation Lone Star,” funded bus trips from Texas to Chicago and New York City. 

García-Siller has not issued a formal statement on the Archdiocese of San Antonio website. It is not uncommon for the religious leader to address current events. 

Earlier this year, the archdiocese released a five-step list of suggestions for its parishoners on how to promote “open hearts” for migrants and refugees created by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB). Of the suggested ways to help, the archdiocese asks people to take action by volunteering with Catholic Charities of San Antonio or other groups and donating to agencies that help those impacted by immigration policies. 

The archbishop also spoke out against former President Donald Trump’s immigration policies during his term. He called his actions “disappointing” and “disheartening.” 

Original News Source Link