San Antonio halts Broadway plans over stalemate with TxDOT

City Manager Erik Walsh says that the city's plans for Broadway are now on hold after a meeting with state officials. 

City Manager Erik Walsh says that the city’s plans for Broadway are now on hold after a meeting with state officials. 

Billy Calzada, Staff photographer / San Antonio Express-News

TxDOT officials said they were open to conversations with San Antonio earlier this week over plans to redevelop a 2.2-mile portion of the Broadway corridor. Now San Antonio City Manager Eric Walsh says those plans have been halted after having those conversations, according to the San Antonio Business Journal

The news came after Walsh and San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg met with Texas Transportation Commission Chair J. Bruce Bugg and TxDOT Executive Director Marc Williams on Thursday, August 4, over altered plans the city submitted earlier this week.

Those plans still included a reduction in lanes from six to four, which is what originally pushed TxDOT to reassert its ownership of the 2.2-mile stretch of Broadway and stall San Antonio’s $42 million plans. 

“The Broadway project — and all of the local funding for it — is on hold,” Walsh told the Business Journal. 

When Walsh and city staff submitted changed plans earlier this week, the altered plans used the state’s projections for future congestion on the road instead of the city’s estimations. The city didn’t budge on the lane reductions. The reduction in lanes would make more space for wider sidewalks and bike lanes. 

Walsh said earlier this week that the city would instead propose that congestion concerns would be addressed by eliminating more left turns and synchronizing traffic signals. The plan still didn’t fly with TxDOT.

Nirenberg told the Business Journal that TxDOT will work on a Broadway plan that keeps the six lanes while adding the bike lanes and addressing pedestrian. The city will review that plan when its ready. 

Original News Source Link