Texas rent relief program reopens for applications this week

Texas’ Rent Relief program that launched in 2021 is accepting applications again this week for a limited time. The program that provided over $2 billion in rent relief funds is reopening the application portal on Tuesday, March 14 and has about $96 million in rental funds up for grabs, according to an announcement from TRR website

How long do I have?

The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs is reopening the application portal for two weeks from March 14 to March 28. Texas residents who wish to apply are encouraged to sign up at the TRR website if you haven’t already to get a head start on the application process. 

Who can apply?

The program is open to rental tenants who will receive up to 18 months of rent and utility bill assistance. This relief can be used for past due rent and future payments. Landlords can also apply for the rent relief programs, after which their tenants are notified to complete their portion of the application. Landlords will also be notified to complete their portion of the application if a tenant applies.

Tenants that are close to eviction are being prioritized in this new round of applications. 

Does my landlord need to apply?

Tenants who fill out TRR applications do not need their landlord to complete their portion of the application to receive assistance. However, a landlord that applies will not receive rental assistance if a tenant does not fill out their portion of the application. 

Who is eligible?

Tenants that apply must have a household income no more than 80% of the area median income. The 80% AMI for the San Antonio-New Braunfels area is $46,450 annually for a single person and $53,050 for two people, according to the 2022 AMI data.

Tenants must say in writing that you or others in that household have qualified for unemployment benefits, lost their job, experienced significant financial hardship, at risk of homelessness, and facing housing instability without rental assistance. 

What documents do I need?

The program requires a proof of identification like Texas IDs. You can also provide military ID, passport, or a personal ID like a school ID or library card. You will also need documents proving your income is below 80% AMI. This can be a W2, 2020 tax return, or pay stubs.

You must also provide proof that you are enrolled in assistance programs like Head Start, SNAP, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families or supplemental security income. Tenants must also provide proof of residence, signed certification of financial hardship, any notices of past due rent or eviction. 

Other forms that you might need can be found here.

I don’t have internet access

Renters can also submit their application by calling TRR at 833-989-7368.

Original News Source Link