19-year-old arrested after $692K in alleged cocaine seized at Texas border crossing

A 19-year-old driver was arrested after U.S. Customs and Border Protection seized $692,000 in cocaine at a Texas border crossing.

SAN ANTONIO — A Texas border crossing inspection led to the seizure of more than $692,000 worth of suspected cocaine earlier this month, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

The seizure occurred May 13 at the Progreso International Bridge, where CBP officers referred a 2022 Ford Mustang for a secondary inspection. The vehicle was driven by a 19-year-old U.S. citizen.

During the inspection, officers used nonintrusive inspection technology and CBP canines before conducting a physical search of the vehicle. Officers discovered 23 packages containing a total of 51.85 pounds of alleged cocaine hidden inside the car, officials said. The narcotics carried an estimated street value of $692,334.

CBP officers seized both the narcotics and the vehicle. Special agents with the Drug Enforcement Administration in McAllen arrested the driver, while agents from Homeland Security Investigations joined the investigation under a Homeland Security Task Force initiative.

“This seizure exemplifies the unwavering dedication of our frontline CBP officers to CBP’s border security mission and their critical role in keeping our communities safe from the ruinous effects of hard narcotics,” said Michael Martinez, port director for the Progreso/Donna Port of Entry.

Authorities have not released the identity of the driver, and the investigation remains ongoing.

Original News Source