A 911 call revealed Kyle Busch suffered a medical emergency at a North Carolina facility while testing in a race simulator.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A 911 call from a North Carolina facility that is home to driving simulators reveals Kyle Busch experienced a serious medical emergency while testing in a racing simulator in Concord.
While the NASCAR legend is not named in the call, The Associated Press previously reported he was found unresponsive on Wednesday in a driving simulator. The sheriff’s office redacted both the name of the caller and the patient before releasing the call to WCNC Charlotte.
The call, obtained from the Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office Communications Division, captures a 911 caller reporting that a male needed an ambulance at the GM Charlotte Technical Center on Wednesday afternoon. The caller described the individual as having shortness of breath, feeling very hot, believing he was going to pass out and coughing up blood.
The caller confirmed the subject was awake and lying on the bathroom floor at the time.
The caller also asked that medics arrive without sirens to avoid drawing attention, directed them to a discreet entrance at the technical center building and said someone would be waiting outside to meet them.
On Thursday, Busch’s family posted that the NASCAR star was hospitalized, undergoing treatment for a “severe illness.”
Only hours later, Busch’s family and NASCAR released a joint statement confirming the 41-year-old had died.
“Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation,” the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR said in a joint statement. “He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.”
What was Kyle Busch’s cause of death?
As of Friday morning, an official cause of death hasn’t been released for Kyle Busch, whose death has shocked the professional racing world.