Multiple South Central Texas school districts investigate bomb threats, lockdowns issued

Several districts across the region went on high alert after receiving similar bomb threats Wednesday.

SAN ANTONIO — Several school districts across South Central Texas were placed on high alert Wednesday morning after receiving bomb threats that prompted lockdowns, evacuations and cancelled classes in some areas.

Officials with Uvalde CISD, Boerne ISD, Comfort ISD and Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD all reported receiving similar threatening messages claiming multiple bombs had been placed on school campuses.

In Guadalupe County, Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD said a voicemail threat was left on the phone line at Byron P. Steele High School Tuesday night at 11:06 p.m.

When staff arrived the next morning, the threat was reported to Cibolo police at 7:38 a.m. Multiple agencies responded to evacuate the school and conduct a thorough sweep of the campus.

Out of an abundance of caution, Steele High School cancelled classes for the day. District officials said extra officers will be on campus before school resumes.

Uvalde CISD also confirmed it received a threat on its main district line. The district said the message did not target a specific campus, but officials immediately coordinated with Uvalde police and the South Texas Fusion Center.

Uvalde police are expected to increase patrols throughout the community, according to the district.

In Kendall County, Boerne High School and Comfort High School were also targeted.

Boerne police said they received calls regarding the threat around 7:45 a.m. Officers evacuated the building and spent about an hour sweeping the campus. No explosives were found, and the school was able to reopen and resume normal operations.

Boerne Police Chief Steve Perez said the department has launched a criminal investigation to determine who made the threat.

Later in the day, Comfort ISD reported another bomb threat at Comfort High School at 12:05 p.m. The district placed all campuses on lockdown while authorities conducted a sweep.

Comfort ISD said the high school was cleared and classes continued at 1:51 p.m.

District officials described the threat as part of what they believe may be a “national swatting hoax.” Comfort ISD added that extra counseling services are available for students or staff needing support.

All districts involved are urging families to remain alert and to report any suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately.

The investigations remain ongoing.

Original News Source