NTSB preliminary report: Gas leak may have caused April explosions on Preston Hollow Drive

After the blasts, CPS Energy crews discovered a leak in a service line connected to a nearby home located between the two explosion sites.

SAN ANTONIO — Federal investigators say two natural gas-fueled home explosions that occurred along Preston Hollow Drive last month may be linked to a gas leak in the neighborhood.

According to a preliminary report released Thursday by the National Transportation Safety Board, the first explosion happened around 6:04 p.m. on April 21 at a home on Preston Hollow Drive, seriously injuring three residents. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire while CPS Energy crews responded to the scene.

About two hours later, while emergency crews were still in the area, a second explosion destroyed another home roughly 65 feet away, seriously injuring two residents and a CPS Energy employee responding to the incident.

The residents from both affected homes and the CPS Energy employee all were hospitalized for treatment. 

Investigators said the neighborhood’s gas distribution system included a 2-inch diameter polyethylene underground gas main and 1-inch diameter polyethylene service lines that were installed in 1993. 

According to the report, in the early hours on April 22, CPS Energy crews discovered a leak in a service line connected to a nearby home located between the two explosion sites. CPS Energy was able to isolate the leak and then disconnect and plug the service line. 

The leaking section of pipe and part of the gas main were removed for further testing by the NTSB. The next day, investigators also confirmed gas was present in the ground near the damaged homes during follow-up testing. They found no additional leaks. 

The NTSB said the cause of the explosions remains under investigation. 

Original News Source