SAFD: 2 detained, arson investigation underway after suspicious house fire east of downtown

Witnesses told investigators they saw one of the occupants throwing incendiary pieces onto couches shortly before the fire spread.

SAN ANTONIO — A home just east of downtown appeared to be a total loss Sunday afternoon after flames broke out under suspicious circumstances, according to the San Antonio Fire Department.

SAFD said crews were called to the 700 block of Delmar Street around 1:17 p.m. after a large plume of black smoke was seen rising from the home. 

Firefighters arrived to find a working structure fire that appeared to have multiple points of origin, prompting both arson investigators and fire investigators to respond.

According to SAFD, the fire is being treated as suspicious because there were reports that one of the occupants had been asked to leave the home and was packing belongings at the time. 

Witnesses told investigators they saw one of the occupants throwing incendiary pieces onto couches shortly before the fire spread.

SAFD said two people were detained at the scene. Three family members, including the two detainees, were inside the home when the fire started, according to officials. 

No injuries were reported. Officials said the homeowner was not present.

The fire remains under investigation.

Original News Source