Cotulla seniors say past pranks were worse, but 20 students are now banned from participating in graduation ceremonies and other end-of-year events.
SAN ANTONIO — Twenty Cotulla High School seniors will not be allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies after district officials said students entered school property without authorization and caused damage, according to a statement from Cotulla Independent School District.
The district said the incident happened overnight and involved “conduct that resulted in disruption and damage to school premises.” After reviewing the circumstances, district officials determined the students violated expectations for student conduct and would not be allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies.
“Participation in graduation ceremonies is a privilege, not a right, and the District has a responsibility to maintain appropriate standards of conduct and accountability, particularly for activities connected to important school events,” Superintendent Dr. Ramiro Nava said in a statement dated May 20.
A letter sent to parents from Cotulla High School said the incident happened May 11 and described it as an “unauthorized trespass on school property.” The letter said students involved received a three-day, out-of-school suspension and were prohibited from attending or participating in graduation — scheduled for Friday, May 22 — as well as other end-of-year school-sponsored events.
The parent letter also cited Section 37.107 of the Texas Education Code, saying criminal trespass on the grounds of a public school district is a Class C misdemeanor. The letter said the district contacted local law enforcement and provided details about the incident.
Parents and students, however, are questioning whether the punishment fits what they describe as a harmless senior prank.
One parent told KENS 5 the prank consisted of turning tables and chairs upside down and writing messages on sidewalks with chalk.
Senior Meranda Fugger said tables and chairs were turned upside down in the library, welding classroom and a teacher’s classroom. She said chairs were also flipped in the band hall, toilet paper was hung in the field house and chalk messages were written on sidewalks.
“There was a poster saying ‘seniors are the best’ posted on the outside wall,” Fugger said.
Senior Joe Rodriguez said students attended a recent school board meeting asking trustees to reconsider the punishment.
“They ignored us and moved onto a different topic,” Rodriguez said. “All 20 students are not allowed to walk across that stage.”
Rodriguez also disputed rumors circulating online about the extent of the incident.
“Nothing was broken or stolen,” he said. “Many parents asked for camera footage and they denied everything.”
Students and parents also told KENS 5 they believe the punishment is excessive, saying senior pranks in previous years involved more significant disruptions but students were still allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies.
“Cotulla has been doing pranks for 40-plus years,” Fugger said. “Last year’s class peed on the classroom wall and no consequences were involved.”
The parent said families have not been given additional details from the district and were directed to contact the superintendent.
“This went to the school board [Monday] to be discussed in closed session,” the parent said. “We found [Tuesday] that all 20 kids would not be able to participate in any school functions.”
The parent also said students received their diplomas and parents were asked to sign a notice acknowledging the district’s position that the incident involved a Class C misdemeanor.
In its statement, Cotulla ISD said it is limited in what it can share publicly because the matter involves student discipline. The district said its response has been handled in accordance with applicable law, board policy and the Student Code of Conduct.
“Cotulla ISD recognizes the importance of graduation for students, families, staff, and the community,” Nava said. “At the same time, the District must reinforce that unauthorized entry, vandalism, and conduct that compromises the safety and security of school facilities will not be condoned.”
The district said it remains committed to celebrating the graduating class while ensuring school events are conducted in a safe, respectful and appropriate manner.
Community members are now working to organize an alternate celebration for the seniors barred from participating in Friday’s graduation ceremony.
KENS 5 is headed to Cotulla on Thursday to hear in-person from seniors and families impacted by the decision.